Dandruff, itchy scalp, split ends? Is you hair dull and lifeless? Do you have hair thinning issues? Does your hair refuse to tame despite the expensive products that you use? Do you see bald patches on your scalp? Well, some of us are no different. Most of us have been facing hair problems of one or the other kind. Those who feel that their hair is beyond remedy might undergo procedures such as a neograft hair transplant. For those who think that their problems are salvageable, there is one age-old solution, Hot oil treatment.
GIVE YOUR HAIR A NEW LIFE!!
Why should I do a Hot Oil Treatment?
You might be thinking, ‘My hair is oily, why should I do this?’ Or ‘My hair is dry, why haven’t I done this?’ The good news is that the hot oil treatment is suitable for all hair types irrespective of the condition of your scalp. The kind of oil that you choose would depend on the condition of your hair. Hot Oil treatment would strengthen the bonds of your hair and would infuse moisture in your hair, leaving it soft and nourished! Bid farewell to frizzy hair with this treatment.
Which Oils should I use?
Honestly you can use any oil for your hot oil treatment. If you don’t want to indulge much, just stick to the regular olive oil. It will work fine. Olive oil has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties and helps in promoting hair growth.
For more personalized experience according to the condition of your hair, try these
If you have oily scalp, this is the oil for you. It is very light hair oil, which will nourish your hair without weighing it down.
An absolute favorite, it’s great for all hair types. It leaves your hair soft and shiny and also helps in treating dandruff. It has great moisture retaining capacity amongst all oils. It not only cleanses and moisturizes your scalp but also stimulates growth of hair follicles.
If you know Oil cleansing method, you might know that castor oil is drying. Hence a great option for oily hair. Its also great for those who face hair breakage as castor oil strengthens hair, reducing breakage.
Thinning hair? This is the hair oil for you. It conditions and boosts shine and also helps in treating hair loss.
Its one of the best moisturizing hair oil and works wonders for dry and frizzy hair.
It is a rich source of Vitamin E and helps in reducing hair fall. Regular massaging with make your hair stronger, longer and thicker. It is also great for nourishing your hair.
Apart from the above, you can also use other oils like argan oil, safflower oil, apricot kernel, kukui etc. They are a bit expensive but are great to use as a part of the treatment.
Additional Ingredients (Optional)
You can reap more benefits from a hot oil treatment by adding essential oils and herbs in it. You can choose herbs to enhance the color of your hair, boost moisture, add shine and improve the texture and strength of your hair. To add herbs you can heat the oil on a low heat for 30 mins with the herbs.
Add nettle, chamomile, arnica, horsetail or burdock
Calendula, chamomile, catmint, lavender, dried rose petals or aloe vera
To stimulate hair growth
Horsetail, sage, chamomile, ginger, cinnamon and peppermint
Rosemary, sage, nutmeg, witch hazel or parsley
To enhance the color
Brunettes can try nettle, ground coffee, black tea, sage, rosemary. Blondes can consider adding chamomile, clove (for honey color), calendula. Redheads can use hibiscus, red clover or chamomile.
How to do Hot Oil Treatment
- Drain the oil to remove the herbs.
- Heat the oil for 2 minutes. Warm oil is absorbed well by your scalp than regular oil.
- Apply oil only on the scalp and not on your hair. Hair roots need nourishment for a beautiful and shiny hair.
- Dip a cotton ball in warm oil and dab this cotton on your scalp. You can also use your fingertips for applying oil on your scalp.
- Massage your scalp gently. Over massaging may break your hair. Moderation is the key.
- You can either oil your hair overnight or 1 to 2 hours before shampoo.
- Avoid going out with oiled hair, as it tends to attract more dirt and dust, which can cause dandruff, itchiness in scalp and hair fall.
- Wrap your hair with a heated towel and allow it to sit for 20 minutes. Alternately, you can also place your hair under a clean shower cap and sit under a heat cap or steamer for 15-20 minutes, or just allow your body heat to nourish your hair during the treatment.
Want to give your hair extra conditioning. Try these homemade hair masks for improving the condition of your hair.
Have you ever done hot oil treatment at home? If so, do have any tips that have worked for you? Please share!