This Indian mutton curry recipe is the way my mother makes mutton curry at home. It doesn’t involve too many steps and is very delicious. While it doesn’t involve a lot of steps, the key at making a great mutton curry is cooking it slow on a medium-low flame. Marination is very important and gives rich flavors to the mutton. You can have this mutton curry with chapattis or Indian bread or with rice.
Mutton: 1kg, cut into pieces
Ginger-garlic paste: 2-tablespoon
Onions: 3 medium-sized, finely chopped
Coriander powder: 2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder: 1 tablespoon
Greek yogurt /curd: ½ cup
Red chilli powder: 2tablespoon
Salt to taste
Ghee- 1/2 cup
Whole spices: cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf, 2-3 each
Onion: 1 medium sized, chopped
Garam masala powder- 2 tablespoon
- Mix the mutton pieces with all the ingredients for marinating and let it sit for at least 3-4 hours before cooking.
- Once the mutton has been marinated, heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the whole spices.
- Once the spices start to sizzle, add the onions and fry till golden brown.
- Now add the marinated mutton. Mix the mutton well in the pan and let it cook on a low flame, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
- Keep simmering the mutton till the meat is fully cooked. Add garam masala powder in the end.
- If you need more gravy, you can add water.
The pictures above were clicked with various lighting hence the difference in the colors.